Developer Registration for OpenAIR 2016 is closed. Email Jessica Looney at email@example.com to get on the waiting list for next year!
What do I get out of this?
Besides improving your community and the opportunity to win tickets to SXSW Interactive, OpenAIR provides plenty of benefits to participating developers.
As a participant and competitor you will:
- Be matched with a non-profit organization, budding artist, or worthy community organization.
- Create an exciting, interactive web experience that is accessible to everyone.
- Network with area artists, web professionals, and other really cool people.
- Get to complete your development project in a relaxed time frame – the development cycle is 5 weeks, giving your team the opportunity to create something really special.
- Receive accessibility training to comply with ADA and Section 508 standards, worth over $4,000
How do I get involved?
If you would like to register for OpenAIR 2016, email Jessica Looney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Quick facts before you begin
- You can register as an individual or a team
- Teams must have at least 4 members and no more than 8.
- A initial fee of $100 is due at registration, which covers members 1-4. Each team member above 4 costs $25 per team member.
- Teams may register with a chosen non-profit, or can request that Knowbility select a non-profit organization for them to work with.
Knowbility will contact your team captains to establish interest. We will distribute surveys to development teams and non-profits to facilitate matches based on NPO needs and developer skill levels.
And we’re off!
The competition begins with a Kick-Off event. See the events page for more details. At this time, development teams who have requested Knowbility match them with an NPO will be introduced to their organization. The surveys previously taken by NPOs will be provided to development teams to set expectations and facilitate discussion of site requirements. After the Kick-Off, you can start coding!
- Training materials will be available for all teams through an accessible learning management system which will be provided upon registration.
- Regional coordinators may arrange for in-person training.
- Sites will be judged by Knowbility’s judging panel over a five week period.
- Awards will be announced shortly after.
As a team participant, you will be a key part of making this program enjoyable, educational, and successful. Please read the commitments below before registering in the AIR program, as they are the things you will be expected to accept responsibility for as a participant.
What is expected of you:
- Sign up ALL team members online, provide at least one phone number and email address for each person.
- Designate a team Captain- this person will be responsible for making sure all team members are kept up to date with any program updates or information from the Program Manager.
- Fill out the Team Questionnaire – in detail if possible – this will help us match you with the best “client”. AIR Team Questionnaire
- Attend the kickoff on October 1st, in person or virtually.
- Have at least two face-to-face meetings with your “client” after the kick-off – This helps you and the client understand each other better and allows for personalities to shine thru on the sites you create.
- Meet with your team, or at least contact each other, and stay in contact at least weekly.
- Do your share of the team-assigned items, and meet your team deadlines.
- Attend at least one training session of your choice (Basic, Advanced or Multimedia)
- Make arrangements with your NPO for updating the website after the contest. (Even if it’s to hand them a list of for-hire web developers)
Once trained, you will have access to our trainers at all times should you have a question or need assistance. No worries, we will be by your side the entire way, offering encouragement, support and the occasional laugh – to relieve stress of course.
Once you register, you will get access to our “Developer Resources” page. There you will find “Tips and Tricks” on how to prepare your team, select a team captain and other information which will help you to make the best accessible site you can.
Don’t have a team, but want to participate? Register as an individual and we will connect you with a team!
Important dates for teams:
Kickoff: October 11th, 2016 at 6:00 pm CST at Google Fiber in Austin, TX. For those calling in we will provide the hangout information 48 hours prior to the event.
Meet with NPO: You can schedule additional times to meet with your team at the kick-off on October 11th, 2016
Website completion and submission: November 11, 2016
Judging ends: December 2, 2016
Award Ceremony and Closing Celebration: December 8, 2016, at 6:00 pm at Sterling Events Center
The complete timeline for development teams — http://air-rallies.org/timeline-development-teams/