About the OpenAIR Mentor Program
Knowbility has fostered web accessibility awareness and skills through the AIR competition for more than 16 years. What began as a live, in-person hack-a-thon event has evolved in the last three years into an online contest, now called OpenAIR. Through programs like OpenAIR, Knowbility has inspired hundreds, if not thousands of web professionals to consider accessibility in their work. Several leaders in the industry (maybe even you) found their calling during these events.
Now that AIR has gone virtual, teams have more time but less hands-on advice and personal instruction. We want them to learn how to design and build with accessibility in mind, but they need a guide. We want to provide that guidance by assigning an experienced accessibility mentor to each team, someone who can answer questions and provide direction – that’s where you come in.
What it will take – Mentor Responsibilities:
- Have expert level knowledge of WCAG.
- Have expert level knowledge of accessibility techniques.
- Have expert level knowledge of WAI-ARIA practices.
- Understand front-end development.
- Have expert knowledge of doing accessibility assessments including the use of automated accessibility tools and screen readers.
- Contact your Team Lead within 48 hour after the kick-off and create a schedule for meetings and work sessions with your team.
At your first meeting, we’ll go over judging expectations by reviewing the AIR Judging Form (Microsoft Excel file). Then, you’ll:
- Meet with your team a minimum of once or twice per week
- Provide regular reports and updates to OpenAir chair on the development efforts
- Be encouraging and kind.
- Possess Project Management Skills
- Experience with mobile accessibility
- Perform regular assessments of the sites
- Be available to call in for the OpenAIR kick-off in February.
- Be available to call in for the Award Ceremony and Closing Celebration in March.
Knowbility has had great success in instilling an interest in accessibility through this fun, friendly competition. We hope you will join us in evolving the program to have a global impact.
To apply to be a volunteer mentor please complete an interest form and we’ll contact you with more information!