Knowbility is excited to announce The Texas State Agency Accessibility Internet Rally (Texas AIR), a new way for state agencies in Texas to participate in OpenAIR, THE international web accessibility competition that increases awareness of tools and techniques that make the Internet accessible to everyone, including people with disabilities, by training professional web developers and designers in accessibility standards. Kicking off in February 2018, teams of web professionals all over the world compete over eight weeks to build the most effective, impressive, and fully accessible websites for Texas and beyond.
As a participant and competitor you will:
- Have the option to build or improve the websites of Texas state agencies or a non-profit of your choosing.
- Create an exciting, interactive web experience that is accessible to everyone.
- Be matched with a Knowbility mentor, the leading subject matter experts and trainers on website accessibility.
- Get to complete your development project in a relaxed time frame of up to eight weeks.
- Receive accessibility training to comply with WCAG 2.0 Level AA, ADA and Section 508 standards, worth over $4,000.
How do I get involved?
If you have questions about registration, contact us at Openair@knowbility.org.
Quick facts before you begin
- All Texas State Agencies are FREE to register.
- You can register as an individual or a state agency team.
- Teams must have at least 4 members and no more than 6.
- State Agency teams have the option to work on improving a State Agency site, or a non-profit website of their choosing.
We will distribute TexasAIR Team questionnaires to State Agency teams to facilitate matches based on NPO needs and State Agency teams skill levels.
- Training materials will be available for all teams through an accessible learning management system which will be provided upon registration.
- Sites will be judged by Knowbility’s judging panel over a six week period.
- Awards will be announced mid-May during the AccessU accessibility conference.
As a State Agency Team participant, you will be a key part of making this program enjoyable, educational, and successful for Texas and beyond. Please read the commitments below before registering in the TexasAIR program, as they are the things you will be expected to accept responsibility for as a participant.
What is expected of you:
- Sign up ALL team members online, provide at least one phone number and email address for each person.
- Designate a team Captain- this person will be responsible for making sure all team members are kept up to date with any program updates or information from the Program Manager.
- Once provided, fill out the TexasAIR Team Questionnaire in detail.
- Attend the kickoff on February 8, 2018, in person or virtually (location TBD).
- Have at least one face-to-face meeting per week with your “client” after the kick-off – This helps you and the client understand each other better and allows for personalities to shine thru on the sites you create.
- Meet with your team, or at least contact each other, and stay in contact at least weekly.
- Do your share of the team-assigned items, and meet your team deadlines.
- Make arrangements with your NPO for updating the website after the contest. Example: provide client with list / resources identifying for-hire web developers they can contract.
Once trained, you will have access to our trainers at all times should you have a question or need assistance. We will be by your side the entire way, offering encouragement, support and the occasional laugh – to relieve stress of course.
Don’t have a team, but want to participate? Register as an individual and we will connect you with a team!