What do I get out of this?
The aim is to give students who are already interested in web coding and design a firm footing in accessibility training. We believe introducing the next generation of web designers and developers to the concepts and practices of accessibility is the key to creating a more inclusive web.
Here are some benefits of participation in OpenAIR:
- 8 + hours of free accessibility training from some of the world’s leading experts in the field
- The opportunity for mentorship and to network with employers from companies such as IBM, Google, Deque Systems, Cognizant and Pearson, and other developers worldwide
- A chance to win badges to the SXSW Interactive Festival
- The satisfaction of knowing you’ve had a hand in creating an accessible website for a non-profit that might not otherwise have one
- A kick-off party and awards event hosted by Google that you can attend from anywhere in the world
How do I get involved?
Registration is now open. University Team Sign up
Quick facts before you begin
- Teams must have at least 4 members and no more than 8.
- Teams must designate a Team Captain.
- A initial fee of $150 is due at registration.
- Teams may register with a chosen non-profit, or can request that Knowbility select a non-profit organization for them to work with.
Knowbility will contact your team captains to establish interest. We will distribute surveys to development teams and non-profits to facilitate matches based on NPO needs and developer skill levels.
And we’re off!
The competition begins with a Kick-Off event. See the events (coming soon for 2017-18) page for more details. At this time, development teams who have requested Knowbility match them with an NPO will be introduced to their organization. The surveys previously taken by NPOs will be provided to development teams to set expectations and facilitate discussion of site requirements. After the Kick-Off, you can start coding!
- Training materials will be available for all teams through an accessible learning management system which will be provided upon registration.
- Regional coordinators may arrange for in-person training.
- Sites will be judged by Knowbility’s judging panel over a five week period.
- Awards will be announced shortly after.
As a team participant, you will be a key part of making this program enjoyable, educational, and successful. Please read the commitments below before registering in the AIR program, as they are the things you will be expected to accept responsibility for as a participant.
What is expected of you:
- Sign up ALL team members online, provide at least one phone number and email address for each person.
- Designate a team Captain- this person will be responsible for making sure all team members are kept up to date with any program updates or information from the Program Manager.
- Fill out the Team Questionnaire – in detail if possible – this will help us match you with the best “client”. AIR Team Questionnaire
- Attend the kickoff on (Date TBA), in person or virtually.
- Have at least two face-to-face meetings with your “client” after the kick-off – This helps you and the client understand each other better and allows for personalities to shine thru on the sites you create.
- Meet with your team, or at least contact each other, and stay in contact at least weekly.
- Do your share of the team-assigned items, and meet your team deadlines.
- Attend at least one training session of your choice (Basic, Advanced or Multimedia)
- Make arrangements with your NPO for updating the website after the contest. (Even if it’s to hand them a list of for-hire web developers)
Once trained, you will have access to our trainers at all times should you have a question or need assistance. No worries, we will be by your side the entire way, offering encouragement, support, and the occasional laugh – to relieve stress, of course.
Once you register, you will get access to our “Developer Resources” page. There you will find “Tips and Tricks” on how to prepare your team, select a team captain and other information which will help you to make the best accessible site you can.
Don’t have a team, but want to participate? Register as an individual and we will connect you with a team!
Important dates for teams:
- Kickoff: TBD