About the OpenAIR Mentor Program
Knowbility has fostered web accessibility awareness and skills through the AIR competition for more than 20 years. Through the years Knowbility has inspired hundreds, if not thousands of web professionals to consider accessibility in their work. Several leaders in the industry (maybe even you) found their calling during these events.
Now that AIR includes virtual/remote teams, teams have more time but less hands-on advice and personal instruction. We want them to learn how to design and build with accessibility in mind, but they need a guide. We want to provide that guidance by assigning an experienced accessibility mentor to each team, someone who can answer questions and provide direction – that’s where you come in!
- Contact your Team Lead within 48 hour after the kick-off and create a schedule for meetings and work sessions with your team.
- At first meeting, go over judging expectations by reviewing the AIR Judging Form (.xlsx Excel file, 29.99 KB)
- Meet with your team a minimum of once per week.
- Provide regular reports and updates to AIR chair on the development efforts.
- Be encouraging and kind.
- Perform regular assessments of the site.
The complete mentor timeline (encouraged)
- Attend AIR KickOff event in person or online.
- Attend Final Countdown Event in person or online.
- Attend the AIR Award Ceremony in person or online.
Knowbility has had great success instilling an interest in accessibility through this fun friendly competition. We hope you will join us to continue this mission of training more designers and developers in accessibility.
To apply to be a Mentor please complete an interest form and we’ll contact you with more information!